Edgar Raven

Edgar Raven, not quite settled into his new life

Way back in March, Rob and Regina Raven had a little discussion about where they would set up housekeeping for the year.

“What about Porcupine Mountain?” murmured Rob, “ We haven’t lived there since aught seven.  It wouldn’t take much to fix up the old place and maybe we need a change for this year.”

“Nevermore,”  croaked Regina.  “I like Leighton Point.  “The nest near Fred and Linda’s is in good shape; the bedroom needs a little fixing, but the kitchen is super.  They put out their kitchen scraps reliably, and last year Fred even brought us a road killed raccoon.  The coast is always good.  Remember when we dropped the shell of that four pound lobster on his driveway?”

“You’re right as usual,” Rob replied with a raspy sigh. “I do like to tease Fred.  He tries so hard to take our picture in that stupid blind.  Remember when they put out all those old donuts?  He waited there for over an hour!  Huk! Huk! Huk! “ laughed Rob.  Regina joined in and laughed at the memories until her eyes glistened with tears.

“But remember, we must be careful,” croaked Regina, trying to get back to the serious business at hand, “if one of us gets hurt it’ll be a disaster.”

So the Raven family set to work and refurbished the nest, and by early April, Regina laid three large, light green eggs with blotchy brown spots.  She incubated them herself, and Rob watched over her and carefully brought food and even water as she required, and about 3 weeks later three ugly little Raven kids hatched; Agatha, Edgar and Harriet.  Both parents worked diligently at feeding them; getting egg shells and anything else from the compost heap; stealing the pie dough from the squirrels;  the Tostitos leftover from the Chantey sings; the sunflower seeds from the Mourning doves, and lots of foraging along the shore.  As the youngsters grew, they always wanted more, and squawked louder and louder from early morning and even at moonlit nights.  And then something happened.  On May 20th, we noticed Edgar hopping on the ground.  Did he have a fight with his siblings and lost?  Did he stupidly try to fly?  How bad off was he?  He was very shy of my approaching, and I didn’t want to crowd him for fear that he might try to fly across the bay and not succeed, so I waited.

Edgar Raven

On May 24th I noticed him in the intertidal zone, and he looked pretty ratty, so I decided to intervene, and put on my chainsaw helmet and picked up a mildly protesting Edgar.  Surprisingly to me there were no sounds or attacks by either Regina or Rob, and in short order I was hand feeding this bird some old burger meat.  It was interesting that 15 minutes prior Edgar had considered me a mortal enemy, but at this moment was clopping his beak contentedly, and eating about ¼ pound of meat.  I fobbed his care off to a friend in Machias while I worked at the DownEast Birdfest, and on 30 May we brought him down for professional medical care to Birdsacre, in Ellsworth.  Let’s hope Stan Richmond can perform his rehabilitation magic on Edgar, and even though he probably can’t be released because of his injuries, there is a chance that he can still have an interesting life.  If you’re down in Ellsworth drop into Birdsacre and say hello to Edgar for me.

Edgar Raven will be cared for at Birdsacre in Ellsworth